Saturday, February 5, 2011

cleaning out the Chipsey bucket


Chipsey is the brand name for a vegetable grease.  It is not oil, and much harder than Crisco.  At room temperature it is hard like lard, only it is vegetable based.  It comes in 10 kg buckets, as they use a lot of it when coooking.  The food does not taste greasy, but when it is cold and you seee the hard grease on the top, you ask yourself, "Did I eat THAT?"  Anyway, there were two empty, but still very greasy, Chipsey buckets in the kitchen.  I asked Lydiah what was the best way to clean them.  (The buckets, of course, are very useful for many, many things.)  All the things I knew to use - paper towels, degreaser products, etc. are not available.  So she said she would teach me how to clean them.  We used VERY hot water, heated almost to boiling, and laundry powder, and took them outside to clean them.  What I thought was so smart was she goes over to a cedar tree (bush) and breaks off pieces to scrub with.  Not only are they disposable (few things are thrown away here) but they leave "the fresh scent of pine".  I told her that there were cedar trees at my house and the next time I needed to scrub a greasy container I knew what to use.  I wanted to include the picture of Lydiah only, but it didn't show the bucket, so you have a picture of me as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment